Code of Ethics and Practice for Professional Readers
Palmistry (Hand Analysis) and tarot card reading is an art and a science that requires a professional attitude, much like a counsellor. Whether you are an experienced reader, or a learner, in either case, it is crucial to have a ‘code of ethics in palmistry and tarot’ and ‘code of practice’ in place. This code of ethics also applies to psychic readers, reiki or any other metaphysical type services.
Too many times, even in this day and age, I hear or witness readers (fortune-tellers) who predict outcomes which potentially frighten or harm the recipient. These predictions might include subjects about illnesses, accidents or even death. A professional reader will know that these types of foretellings are fallacious and menacing.
NOTE: If you are doing a reading for someone else, use care and tact, never alarm a potentially nervous or sensitive subject. It is not our job as professional readers to frighten, humiliate or discourage anyone. Always keep your explanations optimistic and emphasise that it’s just for fun.
The reader should also be aware of the local laws, as some states and countries have strict rules about fortune-telling. You should have a code of ethics in palmistry or in your tarot card reading clearly set out.
Code of Ethics and Practice in Palmistry and Tarot Card Reading
- As a palm or tarot card reader, you have the responsibility not to mislead your client as to the level of your experience, competence or qualifications. Misleading people this way is a most severe ethical violation as it raises the risk of harm to the customer and the credibility of the profession in the eyes of the public.
- You, as the reader, have the right to choose not to read for any potential client if you are not comfortable doing so.
- All readers must take sufficient steps to make sure that the client does not endure physical, emotional or psychological harm during the palm or card reading session.
- If you have any records of the client, it is your responsibility to keep those records safe and secure.
- You must not exploit your client financially, sexually, emotionally, or in any other way.
- The reader must provide privacy for the sessions; they should not be overheard, recorded or observed by anyone other than the reader without informed consent from the client. (This rule is obviously open to change if the reading is posted online).
- You, as the reader, should be aware of the local laws, and how you portray or advertise your business, as some states and countries have strict rules about fortune-telling.
Your Responsibilities as a Palm or Tarot Card Reader
- You, as a reader, are responsible for making sure that you address any problems with common comprehension due to language or cultural differences at an early stage. Consider the use of an interpreter at the start of the reading.
- Honour your clients’ uniqueness. You must offer a non-judgmental service, free from discrimination.
- Promise confidentiality. Your client trusts that you will not publicise or otherwise talk about any personal issues with others.
- You, as a reader, have a duty to consider and address your prejudices, stereotyping or behaviour. Give particular regard to ways in which these attitudes may be affecting or influencing your responses.
- Determine the helping relationship to maintain the empowerment of the client without offering advice. It is best if you encouraged your client to make their own decisions.
- You are responsible for monitoring your performance. Do not do readings when impaired by alcohol or drugs (be they illicit or licit). In situations of personal or emotional trouble, excessive tiredness or illness, you should monitor the point at which you are no longer competent to practice and take action accordingly.
- The reader shall not intimidate the client into making any additional purchase of any kind.
- During a reading, it would be best if you asked questions to verify that your interpretations are in agreement with what your client is experiencing.
Code of Ethics and Practice for Hand Analysis
You can download the pdf copy of the Code of Ethics For Professionals in the Field of Hand Analysis, Tarot and Metaphysical services. Please note that this document may be edited in the future for updates. See the link below for the latest version:
Download Code of Ethics Version 2
If you have any questions, you can contact us: Contact us here
Have a Clear Outline of Your Ethics
Examples of Personal Ethics
- Readings are for entertainment purposes only.
- We do not provide readings for anyone under the age of 18.
- We do not give medical, legal, or financial advice. Please consult the appropriate experts for these matters.
- This business does not practice fortune-telling or guarantee that we can predict the future.
- I cannot take any responsibility for actions that you might take based on your reading.
- We reserve the right to abstain from answering any questions that we consider unethical or illegal.
You can join our converstations in our Facebook Group Here.